[picapp src=”f/3/1/6/St_Louis_Blues_3f35.jpg?adImageId=7232070&imageId=6991124″ width=”380″ height=”270″ /]
Cam Janssen lit things up with a fight against Arron Asham
Good game by the Blues – they worked hard, they hustled, they created chances. Playing against a very strong Flyers team, the Blues came away with a well-deserved point. The game was however, somewhat overshadowed by some odd and downright wrong decisions by the referees. For example, how can Paul Kariya take an elbow to the face and yet he’s the one sent to the penalty box? Or how about Cam Janssen? Poking away at the puck in the crease – which he’s quite entitled to do – this leads to a general scrum…and yet Janssen is sent to the penalty box for “goaltender interference”. At points during the game, the Flyers fans were chanting “Refs, you suck” and it was very hard not to sympathise. Anyway – a few other points from the game:
- Paul Kariya responded to his demotion from the powerplay and being put on a line with McClement and Crombeen by having an excellent game. The only thing missing was a goal.
- TJ Oshie scored a great goal in the third period to bring the game level for the Blues. This line of Oshie, Eller and Berglund is really proving to be a hit.
- Lars Eller – how can the Blues possibly send this guy back to the minors? He worked hard, created chances, wasn’t afraid to hit and check – at one point even going after Chris Pronger. With his work ethic and skills, Eller deserves the stay in the NHL and is quickly becoming a fan favourite.
- Another good game from Eric Brewer – he even managed to create one or two scoring chances and was solid in defence.
- Brad Boyes still can’t seem to get the puck in the net – apart from in shootouts that is. I lost track of the number of times the phrase “Boyes shoots it wide” came up. However – it will come for him.
- Chris Mason was deservedly a star of the game after making a number of highlight reel saves.
- The shootout was strange – the Blues didn’t seem to be very creative with Boyes the only one managing to score. Sending David Backes on as the fourth shooter was hard to understand.
The Blues are slowly getting it together – points in their last two games – but they need to carry this forward. We need to come our hard and fast against the Thrashers – two points are sorely needed at the moment.